Everything’s a Project and Everybody is a Project Manager
If you’ve been following us a while, you know that all the project management skills we teach are based on The 6 Productivity Principles for Project Success.
- Define the Job in Detail with a Content-First Approach
- Break the Job Down
- Get the Right Resources Involved
- Estimate the Time and Costs Often
- Establish and Stick to a Change Control Process
- Agree on Interim and Final Acceptance Criteria
Everything is a Project
A project is defined as any set of tasks that have a beginning and an end. That means planning your family vacation, a home improvement project, and even your weekly shopping trip is a project. Let’s take grocery shopping as an example.
- When you make your grocery list, you are defining the job in detail and establishing acceptance criteria.
- If you refer to the sales flyer before or during your shopping trip, you are getting the right resources involved and estimating the cost.
- If you visit multiple stores to take advantage of sales or organize your list by grocery aisle, you are getting the right resources involved and breaking the job down.
- If you are loyal to a particular brand and won’t buy an alternative even if the price is lower or yours is sold out, you are getting the right resources involved and exercising change management.
Everybody is a Project Manager
So very many things that you do on a day to day basis require project management and everyone has the skills to do it.
I bet you can think of a multitude of other examples where you’re automatically applying these principles without even realizing it. It just depends on whether you want to apply those skills in the proper way to get your projects completed on time and within budget.
Want to learn how to consistently get your projects completed on time and within budget?
Join the WP Project Manager’s Academy – a FREE membership program where you can learn everything you need to know to consistently get your projects completed on time, within budget, with features that meet the client’s business requirements WITHOUT sacrificing profit.
You might also want to Join our Facebook Group where we have weekly live trainings on all things project and productivity management as well as a Friday chat session.